1. What kind of information we collect and why
2. How we use your personal information
3. How we may share and disclose your information
4. How we keep your information safe
6. Third party sites
7. Children’s Online Privacy
8. Your right to access and correct your personal information
10. Contact us
When you use the Brightside Services, to make your visit productive and enjoyable, and to enable Brightside to provide you with the best possible services, Brightside may collect and process certain information (including personal information) that either:
- you provide to us when registering for our online mentoring platform;
- is transferred to us from third parties including:
- other institutions that have contracted with Brightside to carry out an online mentoring project with them (“Contracted Partners“); and/or
- your online mentor coordinator (being an individual holding a Disclosure and Barring Service enhanced clearance, who is authorised by Brightside and/or its Contracted Partners to implement and maintain an online mentoring programme),
- you or your mentor (if you are a mentee) or mentee (if you are a mentor) upload or post to the Brightside online mentoring platform during your (or his or her) use of the Brightside Services (including any online survey in which you may participate); or
- you or your mentor or mentee provide to us in any other way, for example by emailing us, disclosing to us by telephone or during any meeting you may have with us, your online mentor coordinator or our Contracted Partners.
This information may include the following:
- personal contact details, including your name, postcode, mobile telephone number and e-mail address;
- biographical details, including information about your employment or education and DBS/CRB checks where applicable;
- demographic information, including information in relation to your age, gender, interests and hobbies; and
- statistical information, relating to your use of the Brightside Services, including course progression, messages sent or received, and number of visits to the Brightside Services,
but it will also include a wide range of information posted or uploaded to the platform during your and your mentor’s or mentee’s use of the Brightside Services. If you are a mentee, this may on occasion include some limited personal information in the categories identified as particularly sensitive by data protection law, if included in the communications that you and your mentor upload or post to the platform – for example, information as to physical or mental health, religious or similar beliefs, political opinions, racial or ethnic origin or criminal convictions. We do not use this information except in the provision of the Brightside Services to you.
We may also collect certain types of information automatically, including:
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address or device identifier; [and]
- your device’s operating system and browser type; [and
- details of the websites visited before or after you visit our website, pages viewed and activities undertaken whilst using the Brightside Services.]
- to set up a service user account so you can use the Brightside Services;
- so we can carry out the Brightside Services for you and our Contracted Partners, including:
- for our day to day operations;
- to meet our objectives; and
- to comply with legal obligations;
- to communicate with you about your use of the Brightside Services, including by way of survey where applicable;
- so we can better tailor are services to you and our Contracted Partners – Brightside will always anonymise any information used for these purposes to protect your identity;
- monitoring, evaluation, research and reporting purposes in respect of the Brightside services – except as discussed below (How we may share and disclose your information), Brightside will always anonymise any information used for these purposes to protect your identity; and
- if you opt-in, to contact you about the services for which you have expressed an interest and, also, other goods, services and features Brightside and/or the Contracted Partners believe that you will find interesting. Each time you are contacted, you will be told whom you need to inform if you do not want to be contacted again by that person.
Your privacy is very important to us. We will not share your personal information with anyone outside of Brightside, other than with any Contracted Partners, the online mentor coordinator relevant to your use of the Brightside Services or our service providers (so we can provide the Brightside Services to you), except in the very limited circumstances discussed below. The platform does also allow you to share personal information with your mentor / mentee.
We keep track of the academic progress of mentees after they have completed mentoring programmes, so that we can assess the effectiveness of our services and improve them for the future. In order to keep track of your academic progress, if you are a mentee, we may provide basic information about you (sufficient to allow you to be identified) to evaluation, research and other educational partners (for example, UCAS) so that they can disclose information about your progress to us or otherwise assist us with monitoring and assessing your progress. We do not use these results in any way that might affect you individually, but only as part of our assessment of our mentoring programmes. We cannot do this without your consent. Your signing up to become a mentee amounts to consent to our providing your basic information to these partners, and to their disclosure of your progress to us, but if you do not wish us to use and share your information in this way please let us know (see Contact us).
In exceptional circumstances where a service user is deemed to be at risk of significant harm or to have suffered significant harm, or to be a danger to another person, confidentiality may need to be broken. The service user will be informed of our intended action, or in exceptional circumstances the action may already have been taken before the service user can be informed. In addition, Brightside reserves the right to use or disclose any personal information as needed to satisfy any law, regulation or legal request, to protect the integrity of the Brightside Services, to fulfil your requests, or to cooperate in any law enforcement investigation.
Your personal information will be kept on secure servers and kept confidential by Brightside and, except in the limited circumstances discussed above, will only be seen by Brightside staff, our Contracted Partners relevant to your mentoring and your online mentoring coordinator. These parties are all contractually obliged to keep your personal information secure and confidential.
All messages will be kept private from any individuals except those stated above. From time to time, Brightside staff and your online mentoring coordinator may review messages and other materials posted or uploaded to the platform to protect your safety by ensuring that there is no misuse of this website or of your mentoring relationship.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by the websites that you visit. There are two kinds of cookies: session cookies, which we use to store information relating to your current session on the site but which are deleted when you leave the site; and permanent cookies, which remain on your computer so that our site recognises you when you return. The information in a cookie may include an encrypted version of your username and a unique identifier for that session. You need to enable cookies on your web browser in order to use this site. We also use Google Analytics to provide us with statistical data on how people use this site. Google Analytics cookies are third party cookies set by Google, which include both session and persistent cookies.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
You are encouraged to read the privacy statements of the other websites you visit from your use of the Brightside Services so you are aware of their data privacy practices.
Brightside recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of children. We will not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of eleven years. When a service user discloses personal information to us, the service user is representing to us that he or she is at least eleven years old.
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you or ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information. If you would like a copy of all or some of your personal information, or to request a correction, please Contact us. If we can lawfully do so we may charge a small fee for providing a copy of your personal information.
32-36 Loman Street